This loaf cake is a staple from my childhood. My mum used to make it very occasionally and it was always a great treat! A word of warning though, it is very rich!
I made this for a party and the whole thing was gone in under 5 minutes. The combination of the bananas and fudge is a real killer and the cake is lovely and moist. A real show stealer for guests. If you've got time you can probably make the icing a bit neater than I did, but you have to be very quick as I found it sets almost immediately so the fudge won't swirl in easily!
Banana Fudge loaf
115g / 4oz spreadable butter
175g/ 6oz soft brown sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
225g / 8oz self raising flour
50g / 2oz glace cherries
115g / 4oz vanilla fudge
115g / 4oz icing sugar
115g / 4oz vanilla fudge (chopped)
2 tsp milk (or more or less for preference)
1-4tbsp warm water
Oven: 160c / gas mark 3
Tin: 900g/ 2lb loaf tin, greased. You can also use a strip of parchment in the bottom and up the sides to make it easier to remove the loaf from the tin.
- Peel, chop and mash the bananas
- Roughly chop the cherries
- chop the fudge, set aside
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl
- Add all the other main cake ingredients barring the fudge.
- Mix well with either a wooden spoon of a hand mixer on a low setting
- Fold the fudge into the mixture
- Pour into the tin and bake for around 1-1.30 hours depending on your oven.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tin, and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Once the loaf has cooled, mix the icing sugar with 1tbsp of water at a time until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Melt the fudge over a pan of hot water, stirring.
- Add the milk to achieve a smooth consistency
- Pour the icing over the loaf and spread it with the back of a spoon
- Swirl the melted fudge into the icing (this is harder to get neat than it may at first seem).
- Make patterns in the fudge with a toothpick if you want!
- Leave in the fridge or a cool place until the icing sets.
- Serves 5-15, depending on how greedy your friends are feeling.
Mmmm, look at that slice, lovely and moist and fudgey.
Caution, do not show to any people who may be on a diet. They will not like you.